We’re helping a small charity punch well above its weight
Over a three-year period, we’ve been working with Contact the Elderly to tackle loneliness amongst older people.
We carved out a space for the charity to ‘own’ what sets it apart in a noisy and competitive landscape.
The problem of loneliness in older people is well documented - we shifted the conversation from endless commentary about the problem to a more positive look at the solutions.
Through a mixture of proactive press office and campaigns we demonstrated Contact the Elderly’s proven solution to loneliness needed support in order to reach more people:
- Give your time – volunteer
- Spread the word – refer
- Give funds – donate
All our work was designed to create the right environment for these asks to land.
We chalked up success for each of these asks including:
- Contact was selected for The Times Christmas appeal leading to five pieces of in-depth coverage
- Our #powerofcontact campaign secured wall to wall coverage including ITN, Sky News, BBC Radio 5 Live, The Independent, Daily Express, Mail Online and twenty regional hits
- Celebrity support from Graham Norton, Jon Snow, Sara Cox, and Sherlock’s Louise Brealey
- £500,000+ income from corporate partnerships and individual giving
For the Be Our Guest campaign we trialled a grassroots referral project, encouraging people to spread the word about Contact the Elderly’s tea parties. As part of that we secured 20 minutes of live breakfast TV for the charity which, in one morning, resulted in 190 applications from volunteers and 30 from older people.